①Ten years are quite a long time. (×）
②Ten years is quite a long time. (√)
①The twentieth lesson and last lesson are very easy for students. (×）
②The twentieth lesson and last lesson is very easy for students. (√)
[解析] the twentieth lesson and last lesson是表示同一概念，译为“第20课即最后一课”，因此谓语动词应该用单数。同学们容易错误理解“第20课和最后一课”，如果表示两课，应该表达为“the twentieth lesson and the last lesson”。
①Neither you nor he have been to Beijing. (×）
②Neither you nor he has been to Beijing. (√)
[解析] neither . . . nor连接的并列主语(you ， he)虽然表示两个人，但根据语言规则，当它连接并列主语的时候，谓语动词根据就近原则，该由he决定，因此第②句正确。
特别提醒 类似的还有either . . . or，not only . . . but also，not . . . but，以及there be之后的并列主语，谓语动词的确定都根据“就近原则”。
4. this kind of，a piece of，this pair of等短语作主语
①This pair of trousers are very new, but Tom’s trousers are very old. (×）
②This pair of trousers is very new, but Tom’s trousers are very old. (√)
[解析] trousers作主语时，谓语动词用复数，但当它被this pair of修饰时谓语动词由pair的单复数确定。因此第②句正确。
特别提醒 this kind of，a piece of，a bag of，a box of等，这类短语作主语时谓语动词的单复数由这些短语中的名词决定，而与它们所修饰的名词无关。
5. the rest of, half of等短语作主语
①Half of the students have finished most of the work. The rest of it are very difficult. (×）
②Half of the students have finished most of the work. The rest of it is very difficult. (√)
[解析] 根据句意和句子结构可以判断the rest of it中的it，指the work，而work是不可数名词，因此第②句正确。
特别提醒 all of，most of，half of，the rest of，以及a lot of，some，any+名词作主语时，要根据后面的名词确定谓语动词的单复数。
③a number of +名词(复)作主语，谓语用复数，the number of +名词(复)作主语，谓语用单数；
④none of . . . 作主语时，谓语动词可用单数，也可用复数。
1. The news _____ very worth listening to.
A. be B. is C. are D. am
2. —_____ this pair of glasses yours？
—No. My glasses _____ on the desk.
A. Is， is B. Are， is C. Is， are D. Are， are
3. The old _____ taken good care of in China now.
A. was B. are C. is D. were
4. Nobody except the twins ___ to Hongkong before.
A. have been B. have gone
C. has been D. has gone
5. —What’s on the plate？
—There _____ some rice on it.
A. is B. are C. has D. have
6. Five years _____ since we met last.
A. have passed B. has past
C. has passed D. have pasted
7. Here _____ some flowers for you.
A. is B. are C. has D. have
8. There __________ a number of teachers， but the number of women teachers ________ only thirty.
A. are， are B. are， is C. is， are D. is， is
9. Not only my uncle but also my parents _______ I am right.
A. think B. thank C. thinks D. are thinking
10. Doing morning exercises _____ good for our health.
A. be B. are C. is D. am
11. Everyone likes people who _____ ready to help others.
A. is B. are C. being D. was
12. The Smith family _____ making dumplings in the kitchen.
A. is B. are C. has been D. can
13. One third of the population in our city ______ farmers in the past.
A. are B. were C. is D. was
14. The headmaster and the teacher ______ coming to us now.
A. are B. is C. will D. am
15. Tom as well as his friends _____ skating every Saturday.
A. are B. is C. go D. goes
(Keys： 1. B 2. C 3. B 4. C 5. A 6. C 7. B 8. B 9. A 10. C 11. B 12. B 13. B 14. A 15. D)