Ever since Jonathan had set up the house in Compton Street, he had looked after it very carefully. Before he left the house in the morning, he carefully closed all the 38 downstairs, opened some windows to let the air in and locked the front gate.39 Jonathan did was tidy and orderly.
One summer evening Jonathan returned home40 at five minutes to seven exactly. When he opened the front gate, he immediately noticed something strange. There was a heavy footprint in the earth in one of the flower beds. Jonathan was just going to blame（责怪）the milkman or the postman 41 he noticed that one of the curtains in the front room downstairs was out of place. Jonathan never left anything out of place.
He walked up to the front door and opened it quietly. He listened carefully for a few moments, but could hear nothing. The front-room door was half-open. Jonathan studied it carefully,42 if he had forgotten to close it that morning. He had never forgotten before. He stepped silently across the hall to the door and looked43 the room. The shadow（影子） of a man was clearly reflected on （映在） the far44 in the evening sunlight. He had been standing behind the door since Jonathan's return. Jonathan grabbed the door-handle, 45 the door quickly and turned the key. Then he46 the telephone in the hall and set about calling the police.
The thief tried to climb through a window to get out, but Jonathan had47 that. He attacked him with his umbrella, 48it as a sword（剑）. Three minutes later the49arrived there. Jonathan was a little angry that he had to have dinner later than usual, but on the whole he felt quite pleased with himself.
38. A. windows B. rooms C. doors D. houses
39. A. Things B. Something C.Anything D.Everything
40. A. as usual B. all the time C. right away D. as soon as
41. A. as B. while C. when D. before
42. A. thinking B. guessing C. wondering D. surprising
43. A. at B. through C. inside D. over
44. A. door B. window C. gate D. wall
45. A. opened B. locked C. shut D. tied
46. A. picked away B. picked up C. picked down D. picked out
47. A. hoped B. wished C. expected D. supposed
48. A. using B. doing C. making D. holding
49. A. milkman B. postman C. thief D. police