Bob: In a book I was reading, some men had to 1 a desert. There was nothing 2 sand they could see. It was so large 3 it seemed to them that it had almost no 4 .
Tom: It 5 be very hot.
Bob: That’s right. 6 hot in a desert. But they rested 7 the day and traveled at night. .
Tom: But there’re no trees or anything like that 8 you to get cool.
Bob: 9 . But they had some tents (帐篷). They 10 when they were going to rest.
Tom: That was a lot of trouble, 11 ?
Bob: Yes. Every night 12 they 13 on the next part of the trip, they had to take the tents 14 . Then they had to put them on their camels. That’s the 15 way you can travel in a desert.
1. A. go B. walk C. cross D. reach
2. A. for B. and C. else D. but
3. A. because B. that C. as D. enough
4. A. end B. water C. people D. animals
5. A. perhaps B. maybe C. sometimes D. must
6. A. It always is B. It’s always C. It never is D. It’s never
7. A. on B. at C. during D. until
8. A. for B. to C. will D. have
9. A. Yes B. No C. All right D. Very good
10. A. put up them B. put them up C. made them D built them
11. A. indeed B. too C. wasn’t it D. wasn’t that
12. A. when B. after C. before D. when
13. A. took B. got C. kept D. set out
14. A. away B. down C. up D. on
15. A. good B. first C. only D. strange
本文是一个对话，关于沙漠中人们如何旅行、如何休息，其中有大量的初中部分很重要的一些词组，如：so… that , must be , put sth. up。
1.C。cross a desert 意为“穿越沙漠”。
2.D。nothing but 是“除了……之外什么也没有”之意。
3.B。固定词组，so… that …即“如此……以至于……”。
4.A。根据上文，此处应选end 。 “ no end”意为“无边无际”。
7.C。during the day 在白天。
8.A。for sb. to do sth. 全句意为“没有树或那样的东西让你纳凉”。
10.B。动词和副词构成的这类词组，如果所接宾语是代词必须放在这两个词之间， 如果是名词放中间，放在后面皆可。Put them up 意为“把他们支起，搭起”。
13.D。set out 意为”出发”。
14.C。与上文的put them up相反，意为“收起帐篷”。