1.利用定义或解释(definition or explanation)
Signal words: means, refers to, be called, be known as ,can be defined as, in other words,that is , that is to say, 定语从句…..etc.
Pruning is important because it encourages the growth of tender shoots(嫩芽）, or young leaves of trees.(B)
The word “pruning” means______
A. Regular cutting（修剪） of the plants
B. Frequent watering
C. Regular use of chemicals
D. Growing the plants high in the mountain
2.利用普通常识和经验(common sense or experience)
1. In fact, only about 80 ocelots, an endangered wild cat, exist in the U.S. today．
“ocelot” means _________________(an endangered wild cat)
2.The period of adolescence, the period between childhood and adulthood ,may be long or short.
“adolescence” means___________(The period between childhood and adulthood)
Signal words：for example ，for instance，such as ，like，as---as，etc.
The largest player – Shanghai Bashi Tourism Car Center offers a wide variety of choices, such as deluxe sedans, minivans, station wagons, coaches. Santana sedans are the big favorite of the tourists. (C)
The words “deluxe sedans,” “minivans” and “station wagons” used in the text refer to ____.
A. cars in the making B. car rental firms C. cars for rent D. car makers
Signal words: as, like, the same as，unlike, but，however, on the contrary, while,instead…ect.
1. The snow was falling.Big flakes drifted(飘） with the wind like feathers.
2. Unlike her gregarious sister, Jane is a shy person who does not like to go to parties or make new friends.
5.利用比较或对比(comparison or contrast)
(1)Overwork may cause diseases.
(2)There was a dissatisfied look in the manager's eyes.
dis “不” + satisfied“满意的=dissatisfied “不满意的”。
1. Is he intelligent or stupid?
2. Most women in Ghana--- the educated and illiterate, the urban and rural, the young and old--- work to earn an income in addition to maintaining their roles as housewives and mothers. Their reputation for economic independence, self-reliance, and hard work is well known and well deserved.(C)
The underlined word “illiterate” in the passage means ____.
A. Repeated B. reiterated. C uneducated D. sick
7.利用同义词或反义词(Synonym or Antonym)
Signal words:because，since ,so, such…that,so…that, ect
I feel that since you are my superior（上司）, it would be presumptuous of me to tell you what to do .”(B)
The word “presumptuous” is closest in meaning to “____” .
A．full of respect B． rude and too confident
C．lacking in experience D．too shy and quiet
8.利用原因与结果关系猜词(from Cause and Result)
The official asked the man what his occupation was. The man told him that he worked as an engineer.(A)
A. work B. study C. name D. interest
9.利用上下文的语境(context or related information)
1. A good teacher works in quite a different way. His audience take an active part in his play: they ask and answer questions, they obey orders, and if they don’t understand something, they say so.
The word “audience” in the paragraph means ____.
B. people who watch a play
C. people who act on the stage
D. people who listen to something
2. When some kind of pain killer(止痛药） was brought out recently, researchers found that the colours turned the customers off because they made the product look weak and ineffective（无效的）.
The underlined part “the colours turned the customers off” means that the colours_______
Attracted the customers strongly
Had weak effects on the customers
Tricked the customers into shopping
Caused the customers to lose interest
3. Collins decided that she must go, although the hazards of the trip were many, for example, the unbearable heat , the possibility of getting lost , the presence of wild animals and poisonous snakes .
“hazard” means ___________________
A. pleasure, B. problem, C. danger, D. attraction
4. In a culture which values only the winner and pays no attention to the ordinary players, they strongly blame competition. Among the most vocal are youngsters who have suffered under competitive pressures from their parents or society
The underlined phrase “the most vocal” means______
A. Those who try their best to win
B. Those who value competition most highly
C.Those who are against competition most strongly
D. Those who rely on others most for success
解题关键：上下文语境 context or related information
5.Without examinations, employers will look for employees from the highly respected schools and from families known to them－a form of favoritism will replace equality.
The word “favoritism" is used to describe the phenomenon that ________.
A. bright children also need certificates to get satisfying jobs
B. children from well-respected schools tend to have good jobs
C. poor children with certificates are favored in job markets
D. children attending ordinary schools achieve great success
6. Grown-ups also have a sense of object permanence. That is to say, if we put a box in a room and lock the door, the box will still be there when we come back.
“Object permanence” means that when out of sight, an object ______
A. Still exists B. keeps its shape
C. Still stays solid D. is beyond reach
1.定义：definition that is to say也就是说
7. A child's birthday party doesn't have to be a hassle; instead, it can be a basket of fun, according to Beth Anaclerio, an Evaston mother of two, ages 4 and 18 months.
What does the underlined word "hassle“ probably mean?
A. a party designed by specialists
B. a plan requiring careful thought
C. a situation causing difficulty or trouble
D. a demand made by guests
8. William Shakespeare said. “The web of our life is of a mingled yarn（纱线），good and ill together.”
The underlined word “mingled” most probably means? ? .
解题关键：definition or explanation 定义或解释猜测词义
9. The house looked quite normal outside, but inside it was very exotic with fascinating objects on display. As he began putting them into his bag, a god came into the room. It stopped when it saw Buster, then wagged its tail madly and went over to him, licking his outstretched hand. “Good boy,” Buster whispered. “What a great guard dog you are --- trying to lick me to death.”
Which of the definitions is closest in meaning to the word “exotic” ?
A Messy and untidy.
B. Rich and expensive.
C. Comfortable and calming
D. Unusual and foreign.
10. Lions are opportunists. They prefer to eat without having to do too much work. When resting in the shade, they are also watching the sky to see what is flying by, and even in the heat of the day they will suddenly start up and run a mile across the plains to find out what is going on. If another animal has made a kill, they will drive it off and take the kill for themselves.
By describing lions as “opportunists”, the author means to say that lions ____.
A. are cruel animals
B. are clever animals
C. Like to take advantage of（利用） other animals
D. Like to take every chance to eat