1. The man to whom we handed the forms pointed out that they had not been ________ filled in.
A) consequently B) regularly C) comprehensively D) properly
2. The rain was heavy and ________ the land was flooded.
A) consequently B) continuously C) constantly D) consistently
3. They claim that ________ 1,000 factories closed down during the economic crisis.
A) sufficiently B) approximately C) considerably D) properly
4. It is _________ impossible to find a good educational program in this part of the country.
A) barely B) hardly C) merely D) nearly
5. Not _________, the process of choosing names varies widely from culture to culture.
A) obviously B) surprisingly C) particularly D) normally
6. Frankfurt, Germany, is in one of the most ________ populated regions of Western Europe.
A) densely B) vastly C) enormously D) largely
7. We welcome rain, but a(an) ________ large amount of rainfall will cause floods.
A) extensively B) extremely C) specially D) constantly
8. The little man was ________ more than one metre fifty tall.
A) nearly B) quite C) hardly D) almost
9. I used to smoke ________ but I gave it up three years ago.
A) seriously B) heavily C) badly D) severely
10. The ability to store knowledge makes computers different from every other machine ________ invented.
A) ever B) thus C) yet D) as
11. You cannot be ________ careful when you drive a car.
A) very B) so C) too D) enough
12. The relationship between employers and employees has been studied ________.
A) originally B) extremely C) violently D) intensively
13. Floods cause billions of dollars worth of property damage _________.
A) relatively B) actually C) annually D) comparatively
14. These goods are ________ for export, though a few of them may be sold on the home market.
A) essentially B) completely C) necessarily D) remarkably
15. Our journey was slow because the train stopped ________ at different villages.
A) unceasingly B) gradually C) continuously D) continually
16. William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania, _________ defended the right of every citizen to freedom of choice in religion.
A) inevitably B) indifferently C) peculiarly D) vigorously
17. The computer revolution may well change society as ________ as did the Industrial Revolution.
A) certainly B) insignificantly C) fundamentally D) comparatively
18. He is quite sure that it’s _________ impossible for him to fulfill the task within two days.
A) absolutely B) exclusively C) fully D) roughly
19. The ship’s generator broke down, and the pumps had to be operated _________ instead of mechanically.
A) manually B) artificially C) automatically D) synthetically