1. The results were ________ in comparison with the effort required to achieve them.
A) insignificant B) tiny C) minor D) indispensable.
2. There are several characteristics of the book _________ special attention.
A) worthy B) worthy of C) worth of D) worthless
3. I shall have a companion in the house after all these _______ years.
A) single B) sole C) alone D) lonely
4. None of the servants were _________ when Mr. Smith wanted to send a message.
A) available B) approachable C) attainable D) applicable
5. There were no tickets ________ for Friday’s performance.
A) preferable B) considerable C) possible D) available
6. I find this treatment very _________ to my health.
A) advisable B) invaluable C) beneficial D) worthy
7. As a _________ president, his views are treated with respect when he is interviewed.
A) prior B) previous C) late D) former
8. Jane was hit on the head by the robber and was knocked _________.
A) unconscious B) brainless C) unaware D) mindless
9. The car is quite ________ of petrol.
A) economic B) saving C) economical D) sparing
10. There were some ________ flowers on the table.
A) artificial B) unnatural C) false D) unreal
11. He was ________ of having asked such a silly question.
A) sorry B) guilty C) ashamed D) miserable
12. You should hire a more _________ manager than the one you currently have.
A) sufficient B) effective C) efficient D) respective
13. There was a ________ drop in support for the Union in the 1974 election.
A) delicate B) distinct C) distant D) downward
14. As a mother, she is too _________ towards her daughter, she should let her see more of the world.
A) hopeful B) protective C) modest D) confident
15. He made such a ________ contribution to the university that they are naming one of the new buildings after him.
A) genuine B) minimum C) modest D) generous
16. She is a very ________ secretary: she never forgets anything or makes a mistake.
A) anxious B) effective C) adequate D) efficient
17. The ________ man said that it was impossible for him to be at the scene of the crime because he was in another town.
A) guilty B) accused C) evil D) criminal
18. Nylon is a kind of ________ material widely used in our daily lives.
A) mixed B) combined C) synthetic D) systematic
19. Because of the _________ emphasis placed on classroom work, the instructor will report your absences to the adviser.
A) large B) strong C) hard D) high
20. It does not alter the fact that he was the man _________ for the death of the little girl.
A) accounting B) guilty C) responsible D) obliged
21. Free medical treatment in this country covers sickness of mind as well as ________ sicknesses.
A) normal B) regular C) average D) ordinary
22. They took ________ measures to poisonous gases from escaping.
A) fruitful B) beneficial C) valid D) effective
23. It is quite necessary for a qualified teacher to have good manners and _________ knowledge.
A) extensive B) expansive C) intensive D) expensive
24. I’m not sure whether I can gain any profit from the investment, so I can’t make a(an) ________ promise to help you.
A) exact B) defined C) definite D) sure
25. Writing is a slow process, requiring ________ thought, time, and effort.
A) significant B) considerable C) enormous D) numerous
26. Physics is ________ to the science which was called material philosophy in history.
A) alike B) equivalent C) likely D) uniform
27. The president made a ________ speech at the opening ceremony of the sports meeting, which encouraged the sportsman greatly.
A) vigorous B) tedious C) flat D) harsh
28. Convenience foods which are already prepared for cooking are ________ in grocery stores.
A) ready B)approachable C) probable D) available
29. In general, the amount that a student spends for housing should be held to one-fifth of the total ________ for living expenses.
A) acceptable B) advisable C) available D) applicable
30. Since the matter was extremely ________, we dealt with it immediately.
A) tough B) tense C) urgent D) instant
31. The shy girl felt ________ and uncomfortable when she could not answer her teacher’s question.
A) amazed B) awkward C) curious D) amused
32. The patient’s health failed to such an extent that he was put into _________ care.
A) tense B) rigid C) intensive D) tight
33. Our new house is very _________ for me as I can get to the office in five minutes.
A) adaptable B) comfortable C) convenient D)available
34. Although they plant trees in this area every year, the tops of some hills are still ________.
A) bare B) vacant C) blank D) hollow
35. The words of the old teacher left a ________ impression on his mind. He is still influenced by them.
A) long B) lively C) lasting D) liberal
36. It is our _______ policy that we will achieve unity through peaceful means.
A) consistent B) continuous C) considerate D) continual
37. He is _______ about his chances of winning a gold medal in the Olympics next year.
A) optimistic B) optional C) outstanding D) obvious
38. She cooked the meat for a long time so as to make it ________ enough to eat.
A) mild B) slight C) light D) tender
39. Young people are not ________ to stand and look at works of art; they want art they can participate in.
A) conservative B) content C) confident D) generous
40. By law, when one makes a large purpose, he should have ________ opportunity to change his mind.
A) accurate B) urgent C) excessive D) adequate
41. It is said that the math teacher seems ________ to bright students.
A) partial B) beneficial C) preferable D) liable
42. In order to show his boss what a careful worker he was, he took ________ trouble over the figures.
A) extensive B) spare C) extra D) supreme
43. All the key words in the article are printed in _______ type so as to attract readers’ attention.
A) dark B) dense C) black D) bold
44. If this kind of fish becomes ________, future generations may never taste it at all.
A) minimum B) short C) seldom D) scarce
45. Purchasing the new production line will be a ________ deal for the company.
A) profitable B) tremendous C) forceful D) favorite
46. Though he was born and brought up in America, he can speak ________ Chinese.
A) smooth B) fluent C) fluid D) flowing
47. Petrol is refined from the _________ oil we take out of the ground.
A) fresh B) original C) rude D) crude
48. In the Chinese household, grandparents and other relatives play _________ roles in raising children.
A) incapable B) indispensable C) insensible D) infinite
49. My brother’s plans are very _________ ; he wants to master English, French and Spanish before he is sixteen.
A) arbitrary B) aggressive C) ambitious D) abundant
50. The statistical figures in that report are not _________. You should not refer to them.
A) accurate B) fixed C) delicate D) rigid