1. Ten years had passed. I found she had _______.
A. a few white hairs B. a little white hair C. some white hair D. more fifty hair
2. —Hi, this way, please.
—OK.I sometimes have no sense of ______ when I arrive at the crossroad.
A. position B. direction C. situation D. condition
3. Shelly had prepared carefully for her English examination so that she could be sure of passing it on her first ________.
A. intention B. attempt C. purpose D. desire
4. I didn’t have to work all weekend. I did it by _______.
A. chance B. choice C. accident D. myself
5. “Did you get _____ to the party?” “Yes, I replied to it this morning.”
A. an answer B. an invitation C. a question D. a letter
6. I paid him ￡50 for the painting, but its true ______ must be at least ￡500.
A. price B. money C. value D. importance
7. His letter was so confusing that I could hardly make any ______ of it.
A. explanation B. meaning C. sense D. guess
8. You’ve just missed your ______, and you will have to wait for the next round.
A. chance B. turn C. time D. part
9. —Li Lin is very bright and studies hard as well.
—It’s no ______ he always gets the first place in any examination.
A. question B. doubt C. problem D. wonder
10. —How can I use this washing machine?
—Well, just refer to the _______.
A. explanations B. expressions C. introductions D. directions
11. Jim was late for two classes this morning. He said that he forgot both of the ______.
A. rooms number B. room number C. room’s numbers D. room numbers
12. —Hello, I’d like to speak to Henry.
—Oh, which _______? There are two ______ in our office.www.rr365.com
A. Henrys, Henrys B. Henries, Henries
C. Henry, Henrys D. Henrys, Henries
13. Electricity, like other forms of ______, has greatly increased in price in recent years.
A. pressure B. force C. strength D. energy
14. In order to learn the _______ of the family business, Bill took a job as messenger boy in one of the offices.
A. ins and outs B. dos and don’ts C. heads and tails D. t’s and i’s
15. —I’ve got an “A” in the examination.
—That’s a good ______. You will surely win a second.
A. result B. news C. start D. idea
1. 选A。hair 可用作可数或不可数名词,用作可数名词时,指一根一根的毛发或头发,如说 There’s a hair in my soup (我的汤里有根头发);用作不可数名词时,则是整体地指一个人的头发。
2. 选B。需根据句意来分析。have no sense of direction 意为“没有方向感”。
3. 选B。需根据句意来分析。attempt 在此表示“尝试”。
4. 选B。由于上文说 didn’t have to work,所以下文相应的语境应是 did it by choice。类似地,下面一题应选D,也是因为choice与下文的have to do it 相呼应:
Were you given a _____, or did you have to do it?
A. job B. duty C. request D. choice
5. 选 B。注意其后的 to the party 和 replied to it。
6. 选C。value 指“价值”。
7. 选C。make sense of 意为“明白”、“理解”。比较:make sense 意为“有意义”、“意思清楚”、“有道理”。如下面一题选D:
What he told us about the situation simply doesn’t make any ______.
A. use B. reason C. value D. sense
8. 选B。miss one’s turn 电为“错过机会”,注意下文的 …have to wait for the next round 所表示的语境。
9. 选D。it’s no wonder (+that从句)的意思是“难怪”,也可说成 No wonder (+that从句)。
10. 选D。directions 的意思是“使用说明”,空格前的 refer to 意为“查看”、“参考”。
11. 选D。room 为无生命名词,不用 room’s 这样的所有格形式,在此可直接用名词作定语。类似地,下面一题要选B,也是一样的道理(名词作定语通常用单数不用复数):
The boy was very happy that his mother bought him a new pair of shoes at a ______ yesterday.
A. shoes shop B. shoe shop C. shoes’s shop D. shoe’s
12. 选C。在通常情况下,专有名词具有“独一无二”性,因此它通常没有复数形式,即不可数。但是,专有名词的独一无二性有时是相对的,随着范围的扩大,这种独一无二性便会受到破坏。如在一个星期(week)内,只有一个星期六(Saturday), 一个星期日(Sunday)等,但是在一个月中甚至一年中,便有多个星期六,多个星期日了。所以我们有时可以说:We have spent many happy Sundays there. 我们在那儿度过了许多个愉快的星期日。另外一点值得注意的是,与一般的名词单数变复数不同,以“辅音字母+y”结尾的专有名词,其直接加词尾-s,而不将y改为i。
13. 选D。从常识来考虑,electricity 属于 energy,结合全句的语境,只有D最合适。同样地,下面一题从常识和语境来考虑也应选D:
(1) Some countries are increasing their use of natural gas, and other forms of ______.
A. source B. material C. power D. energy
(2) The ______ has become extremely tense. A war could break out any time between the two sides.
A. pollution B. friendship C. condition D. situation
14. 选A。ins and outs 意为“细节”,dos and don’ts 意为“注意事项”,heads or tails 为掷钱币打赌时用语,意为“你赌正面还是赌反面”,p’ s and q’ s主要用于 mind one’s p’ s and q’ s,意为“留意自己的言行”。结合句意,选A最合适。
15. 选C。从语法上看,news 不可选,因为它不可数;从意义上看,D不可选,因为选D意思不通;比较A和C,选C最合适,因为start与下文的a second 相吻合。