Gilbert joined the Science Club last summer. One day he was handed a piece of paper, a block of wood and four wheels; he was told to go home and 1 them all to “dad”. However, Gilbert’s mom knew that his dad wasn’t good at making things and decided that she would read the 2 and let Gilbert do the work. A few days later the block of wood was turning into a car that Gilbert 3 named “Blue Lightning”. Then he and his mother went to a car race together. But when they 4 there, Gilbert found that his car was the only one that had not been made by a “father-son” partnership(合作).
The race began. One by one the cars were knocked out until it 5 to the final between Gilbert and Jimmy. Just before the race, Gilbert asked 6 they could stop for a minute so that he could make a wish. After a long minute, Gilbert said that he was
People cheered as the race began. Jimmy stood with his father and watched their car racing down the road while Gilbert was surprised at the great 8 of his car as it rushed over the finishing line less than a second 9 Jimmy’s. Gilbert jumped up and down with 10 .
Soon the club manager came over and asked him, “So, Gilbert, you wish was to 11 , right?” “Oh, no, sir,” he replied. “I just wished that I wouldn’t cry if I lost.”
Children sometimes 12 adults with unexpected ideas. When Gilbert first saw the other cars, he didn’t cry out, “Not fair! Other children had their fathers’ help!” Gilbert didn’t wish for victory in the race; instead he wished for courage.
1. A. send B. return C. lend D. give
2. A. instructions B. passage C. message D. explanations
3. A. easily B. carefully C. proudly D. kindly
4. A. lived B. got C. met D. passed
5. A. ran B. moved C. came D. rushed
6. A. whether B. why C. when D. where
7. A. sure B. ready C. tired D. sorry
8. A. effort B. energy C. speed D. value
9. A. past B. over C. after D. before
10. A. excitement B. enjoyment C. agreement D. achievement
11. A. change B. break C. leave D. win
12. A. satisfy B. surprise C. please D. encourage