Washoe is a young chimpanzee(黑猩猩). She is no 1 chimpanzee, though. Scientists are doing research(研究) 2 her. They want to see how civilized(驯化) she can 3 . Already she can do many things as human being does.
For example, she has been learning how to exchange 4 with people. The scientists are teaching her 5 language. When she wants to be picked 6 , Washoe points up with one finger. She rubs her teeth with her finger 7 she wants to brush her teeth. This is done after every meal.
Washoe has also been trained to find answers to problems. Once she was put in a room with food hanging from the top. It was too high to 8 . After she thought about the problem, she got a tall box to stand 9 . The food was still too high to be reached. Washoe found a long stick. Then she climbed onto the 10 , caught the stick and 11 down the food with the stick.
Washoe 12 like a human, too. The scientists keep her in a fully furnished(布置好家俱的) house. After a hard 13 in the lab, she goes home. There she plays with her toys. She 14 watches television before going to bed.
Scientists hope to 15 more about people by studying our closest relative---the chimpanzee.
1. A. foolish B. simple C .real D. ordinary
2. A. for B. on C .to D. by
3.Ａ.experience B. change C. produce D. become
4. A. actions B. ideas C. messages D. feelings
5. A. human B. sign C. mother D. animal
6. A. out B. at C. on D. up
7. A. when B. until C. since D. while
8. A. pull B. see C. eat D. reach
9. A. by B. on C up D. with
10. A. wall B. box C. top D. stick
11. A. knocked B. picked C. took D. looked
12. A. lives B. works C. thinks D. plays
13. A. task B. lesson C. journey D. day
14. A .quite B. already C .even D. still
15. A. see B. answer C. learn D. copy
2. B。do research on 意思是“对……做出研究”。
5. B。下文提到的都是有关sign language。
6. D。pick up意思是“抱起，捡起”。
8. D。reach 有“够到”、“到达”的意思。
9. B。 为了够到东西，猩猩要站到上面。
13. D。要让猩猩适应住在有家俱的房子里，必须训练一段时间。从时间段来，用 “day”好。
15. C。learn 有“了解、学会”等意思。